For this is what we do. Put one foot forward and then the other. Lift our eyes to the snarl and smile of the world once more. Think. Act. Feel. Add our little consequence to the tides of good and evil that flood and drain the world. Drag our shadowed crosses into the hope of another night. Push our brave hearts into the promise of a new day. With love: the passionate search for a truth other than our own. With longing: the pure, ineffable yearning to be saved. For so long as fate keeps waiting, we live on. God help us. God forgive us. We live on.
(Gregory David Roberts, “Shantaram”)
Although Shantaram, novel by Gregory David Roberts, is nothing new, I came across it just a little while ago. I should say it is now one of my all time favorite books.
I laughed and I cried while reading it; and when it was over I thought that a little part of my life has come to end together with it. It might sound too dramatic to somebody,but that is how I felt about it.
Story is about battle between good and bad, past and future, hatred and love.
It shows human struggle with it’s inner demons and hunger to be saved; and helps us realise that every evil can be overcome: „Every human heartbeat is a universe of possibilities. Every human will have the power to transform its fate. The truth is that, no matter what kind of game you find yourself in, no matter how good or bad the luck, you can change your life completely with a single thought or a single act of love.”
No matter what your goal is and no matter what other say, to overcome evil in yourself or others it is not possible to do the wrong thing for the right reason.
To forgive and to accept…Hatred and vengeance destroys… Simplicity and pure heart is everything – that what it’s all about.
“My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and my talents, and I lay them both at His feet.”
First, I need to say that at school Sports was my least favorite class, and it was mandatory for everyone. I wasn’t very good at it. Especially I hated running and Basketball. After I managed to run for few minutes I was completely out of breath. In Basketball I just didn’t understand how to play it. I won’t even talk about exercising at home, that was out of question. Too boring and who has time for that…
Now everything has changed. Although, running still is not my favorite thing to do, but at least I can run for a pretty decent period of time and not be out of breath or dying.
Obviously, you need to start to workout to like it. I never thought that working out could be fun. I also was afraid to go to gym, because I didn’t know what to do there. It was confusing. So many weird machines! And what I’m suppose to do with them? My main reason why I started to work out was, that I wanted to change my body and the way I looked. Now there is couple other reasons why I continue doing it, and that is – for being healthy and because I like it, and it makes me feel better. I always leave gym in a better mood.
Steps I did:
1. I started to watch videos on YouTube how to exercise at home, because I wasn’t ready to go to gym. It looked fun and people seemed really happy. So, I decided to try.
2. I bought a couple of light weight dumbbells, a mat and jumping rope and started to do short exercises at home. I used BodyRock.tv and ZuzkaLight workouts for my guideline. I got addicted🙂
3. I became more interested in fitness and started to read books and blogs about workouts, fitness, training, muscles, physiology etc. That helped me to understand what I’m doing correctly and what – wrong.
4. Almost 3 years ago I moved to a different country for a while. There was a small gym in our apartment building, and most of the time it was empty. So, me and my sister-in-law decided to take advantage of it🙂 After working out in that gym I stopped fearing exercise machines.
5. When I came back to my homeland, I got a gym membership not far from my house, because I couldn’t imagine my life without daily exercise anymore.
Key benefits for me from working out:
Better mood and happiness
Loss of cravings for sweets
Satisfaction with my appearance
Originally I was to call this post How I started to eat healthier, but then I realized that changing the way you eat for better means changing your mind and the way you think also.
I feel like my blog will transform a bit, and there will be more posts about nutrition, healthier living and sports, because that is what I am actually interested in. I will, of course, still share thoughts on a variety of philosophical topics, because it’s all connected. It’s about body and soul🙂
So, how I started to eat healthier…It started 3 years ago when I realized that I am not happy about the way I looked and that I want to change it. Also, I started become more curious about food industry and the stuff they put in food, that we buy at grocery stores. It made me realize that I was eating too much unnatural things. Yeah, exactly – things… My boyfriend made it easier to start a new eating habits, because he wanted to eat better to, so we were on the same path and that helped a lot.
Here I will give you a list of things that I did:
1. I never liked water and the way it tastes, but I knew it was good for you. So, I started to drink water. I made it a habit to drink one glass of water with each meal. Now I drink water about 20 min before my meal and 1 hour after.
2. I started to pay attention to labels and ingredient list on the products, when I went shopping for food. I stopped buying food that had ingredients in it I didn’t like or knew it was too bad for you.
3. I stopped eating yoghurt, except plain Greek yoghurt. Now I don’t really have a need for all of those sweet yoghurts that they sell.
4. I stopped buying juice, soda, etc. Now they seem overly sweet for my taste.
5. I excluded sugar and salt as much as I could. At first, everything seemed tasteless, but when you get to used to it, you don’t really need it anymore. There is enough salt and sugar already added to food we buy, so there is no need to add it more.
6. I started to eat less bread. And this was the hardest part for me, because bread is my favorite food on earth. Also it was challenging, because I come from a country where people eat bread almost with every meal, even with potatoes😀
7. I excluded candy, cookies and other sweets from my diet. And I think that was one of the best decisions.
8. Now I actually treat sweets and desserts as a treat. If I crave something, I allow myself to. I don’t binge on them, but enjoy them. Also I choose to make my own treats or bake my own cookies.
9. I drink less coffee now – one cup in the mornings. This was due to problems with digestion.
10. I replaced vegetable oil with cold pressed olive oil, sesame oil or coconut oil.
11. I stopped using store-bought broth.
12. If I still felt unsatisfied after my meal, I made a cup of green or peppermint tea to calm down my stomach.
13. I started to eat more raw vegetables without any dressings.
Well, after the list of things I wrote down, it seems like a lot to handle, but it is worth it. I know it, because I still do all of this, and don’t feel like I restrict myself.
I hope this will help somebody to bring changes into their lifestyle🙂
We all deserve to be healthy and feel better!
I am back here after a very long pause on WordPress. I have done a lot and nothing at the same time while I wasn’t posting anything. I am willing to improve myself though🙂
I have thought about things I want to do, things I want to learn and things I want to change. I did one step forward and I hope that was a good decision and will bring a benefit. But I will tell about that in my further posts.
Today I am in a “Sunday mood” and want to share my latest passion for trying out different recipes. Bread is my favorite food. And here is one of the latest I baked:
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsps. salt
1/2 tsps. baking soda
100g almond flour
300g wheat flour
a handful of sunflower seeds
a handful of walnuts
a handful of pumpkin seeds
Beat the eggs with the buttermilk, add the sugar, salt and soda.
Add nuts and seeds. Mix everything. Add wheat flour and almond flour, mix well.
Pour dough into a mold and put it in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius and bake for about an hour until the bread has become golden brown. When the bread is ready, it should be removed from the mold, wrapped in a towel and let it rest for at least an hour.
I decided to use one of the daily prompts to complete task of the Day4 and show you my happiness:
Using the opportunity provided by today’s task, I want to thank the followers that have joined recently and everyone who read, and “liked” my posts. I appreciate that.
Feel free to share with me what does happiness look like to you.
After completing second task of the zerotohero challenge, as a bonus I decided to include a tiny article and share a recognition that I came to realization not long ago:
„Reality is the copy of the thoughts and strong feelings of ours that we have had before that became real”.
When I look back into events of my life I realized that it might be the complete truth. Sometimes it makes me afraid of my own thoughts.
When I first started writing my blog, I had a completely different idea of what this blog will be about. When I started posting, it completely changed. This was probably the reason I stopped writing for a long time because I got lost.
Since I have to travel quite often, I knew that one of my topics will be about new countries and cities, which I have visited. Perhaps it will remain one of the main topics of my blog because I want to share my experience with other people and maybe give them ideas of where they would like to go and discover new places for themselves.
I’ve always wanted to write reviews of books I’ve read, but I never tried. This 30-day challenge would be the perfect reason to start doing it and as one of the topics include book reviews.
I am all about self – improvement and becoming a better person, and also I want to learn to write better, so I hope that this ZerotoHero30DayChallenge will be a big encouragement to myself.
I will enjoy sharing my thoughts with other bloggers on topics that are close to me, and try to provide others with enjoyable reading material.
I wish to other bloggers who accepted this challenge to stick to their goals, become better and successful, and to enjoy it!